A Career in NGOs, Think Tanks and Charities
- A Career in NGOs, Think Tanks and Charities
- Hosted by: Sissela Matzner # University of Edinburgh; Speaker: Robbie Mackie # Research, Policy and Communications Officer for The Queen's Nursing Institute Scotland (QNIS); Speaker: Kathie Pollard # Policy & Networks Advisor at the Royal Town Planning Institute; Speaker: Adam Ramsay # Activism Manager at People & Planet, Co-Editor of OpenDemocracyUK; Speaker: Alistair Stoddartq # Community Engagement and Scotland Lead for the Democratic Society
- Hosted by
- Introduced by
- Date and Time
- 1st Mar 2016 16:00 - 1st Mar 2016 18:00
- CMB Sixth floor staff room
Confirmed guest speakers:
About the Career Paths for PIR Students Series
“Very open and honest conversation.”
This series of career events is organised for final year MA PIR honours students, who are beginning to consider what kind of career they would like to embark on.
A total of four events will run in semester 1 and 2, and are designed to introduce possible career choices and a variety of career paths after graduation. The events aim to make abstract career ideas in politics and international relations more concrete – including a career in politics and government, a career of doing political analysis in the private sector, a career in the third sector/NGOs/think tanks, and postgraduate studies as the next step on the career ladder.
For this purpose, we invited guests employed in these four fields of ‘politics and international relations’, some of them are alumni/ae of PIR or the University of Edinburgh, others studied similar degrees at comparable universities. They will talk inter alia about how they got started in their jobs, career development opportunities, and what working in their positions and fields entails.
The format of the events is as follows. After our guest speakers’ brief presentations, students will have the opportunity to talk to the experts about their experiences in more detail, and ask for careers advice over some nibbles.
Student feedback from last year's series
“The events are very informal, good opportunity to network, ask questions over coffee, wine etc.”
“Info about career paths I hadn’t thought about!”
“There was a worthwhile variety of different approaches to different careers.”
“The guest speakers are providing a lot of insight on job seeking and career pathways.”
“The event was really well structured and had a very high calibre of speakers, everyone was really interesting and informative.”
A Career in Politics, Government and the EU, 26th of November 2015
Political Analysis in the Private Sector, 3rd of December 2015
Thinking about a Postgraduate Degree?, 2nd of February 2016
If you have any questions about the careers events, please contact Sissela Matzner.
- Tuesday, 1 March 2016 from 16:00 to 18:00 (GMT) - Add to Calendar
- Staff Room Floor 6