- Dr Nida Alahmad
- B.09 19 George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0) 131 651 1368
- Research Interests
- Middle East Politics, political theory, State building, State formation, Performativity, Political philosophy, Political Economy of Oil, state theory, Sectarianism, Science and technology studies, IR and the Middle East
Guidance and Feedback Hours
- Wednesdays 10:00 - 12:00 . To make an appointment: https://calendly.com/nalahmad/guidance_and_feedback
Programme Director MSc International Relations of the Middle East
Programme Director MSc International Relations of the Middle East with Advanced Arabic
Prior to joining the University of Edinburgh, I was a Marie Sklodowska-Curie fellow at the Department of Conflict and Development Studies, Ghent University (2016-2018). I received my PhD from the New School for Social Research, and was a postdoctoral fellow at Georgetown University and a visiting fellow and research associate at The European University Institute. I taught at New York University, the University of Toronto and the New School for Continuing Education. I also worked as a consultant with a number of NGOs including the Committee to Protect Journalists and the International Center for Transitional Justice. I was the recipient of a number of honors and awards including fellowships from the United States Institute of Peace, The Mellon Research Fellowship in Security and Humanitarian Action and a number of New School awards and fellowships.
- State, Oil, and War in the Formation of Iraq: An Historicized Critical View. Book chapter in Joel Beinin, Bassam Haddad, and Sheren Seikaly [eds.] A Political Economy of the Middle East and North Africa: from the 19th Century to the Present. Stanford University Press [forthcoming]
- The Iraqi State: methodological and theoretical considerations. Middle East Centre Blog, LSE. Nov 14 (2019)
- Illuminating a State: Statebuilding and Electricity in Occupied Iraq. Humanity Journal 8 (2) (2017)
- A Perspective from the Middle East: Governance and the problem of knowledge. Book chapter in Anna Triandafyllidou [ed.] Global Governance from Regional Perspectives: A Critical View. Oxford University Press (2017).
- Rewiring a State: The techno-politics of CPA’s Iraq. Middle East Report 266, Spring (2013).
- A War of Multiple Fronts. Co-authored with Arang Keshavarzian. Middle East Report 257 (2010).
- The Politics of Oil and State Survival in Iraq (1991-2003). Constellations: An International Journal of Critical and Democratic Theory 14:4 (2007).