- Dr Nida Alahmad
- Lecturer in Politics and International Relations of the Middle East
- B.09 19 George Square Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0) 131 651 1368
- Research Interests
- Middle East Politics, political theory, State building, State formation, Performativity, Political philosophy, Political Economy of Oil, state theory, Sectarianism, Science and technology studies
Guidance and Feedback Hours
- Wednesdays 10:00 - 12:00 . To make an appointment: https://calendly.com/nalahmad/guidance_and_feedback
Programme Director MSc International Relations of the Middle East
Programme Director MSc International Relations of the Middle East with Advanced Arabic
Prior to joining the University of Edinburgh, I was a Marie Sklodowska-Curie fellow at the Department of Conflict and Development Studies, Ghent University (2016-2018). I received my PhD from the New School for Social Research, and was a postdoctoral fellow at Georgetown University and a visiting fellow and research associate at The European University Institute. I taught at New York University, the University of Toronto and the New School for Continuing Education. I also worked as a consultant with a number of NGOs including the Committee to Protect Journalists and the International Center for Transitional Justice. I was the recipient of a number of honors and awards including fellowships from the United States Institute of Peace, The Mellon Research Fellowship in Security and Humanitarian Action and a number of New School awards and fellowships.
- State, Oil, and War in the Formation of Iraq: An Historicized Critical View. Book chapter in Joel Beinin, Bassam Haddad, and Sheren Seikaly [eds.] A Political Economy of the Middle East and North Africa: from the 19th Century to the Present. Stanford University Press [forthcoming]
- The Iraqi State: methodological and theoretical considerations. Middle East Centre Blog, LSE. Nov 14 (2019)
- Illuminating a State: Statebuilding and Electricity in Occupied Iraq. Humanity Journal 8 (2) (2017)
- A Perspective from the Middle East: Governance and the problem of knowledge. Book chapter in Anna Triandafyllidou [ed.] Global Governance from Regional Perspectives: A Critical View. Oxford University Press (2017).
- Rewiring a State: The techno-politics of CPA’s Iraq. Middle East Report 266, Spring (2013).
- A War of Multiple Fronts. Co-authored with Arang Keshavarzian. Middle East Report 257 (2010).
- The Politics of Oil and State Survival in Iraq (1991-2003). Constellations: An International Journal of Critical and Democratic Theory 14:4 (2007).