- Dr Patrick Theiner
- Senior Teaching Fellow
- 3.01 Chrystal Macmillan Building 15a George Square Edinburgh United Kingdom EH8 9LD
- +44 (0)131 651 5356
- Research Interests
- International Relations, Regionalism, International development, International Organisations, Innovation Diffusion, Global Health, Internet Governance, European Union, regional organisations, international sports, international negotiation
Guidance and Feedback Hours
- In person: Fridays 10-11:30. Video chat: Fridays 11:30-12 noon (http://appear.in/patrick-theiner)
Patrick Theiner (pronounced Ty-ner) is Senior Teaching Fellow in Politics and International Relations, with a focus on student development. His research and teaching are mainly concerned with the interactions between states on the one side, and international and regional organizations on the other. His special interest lies on processes of institutional development and innovation. Other interests include internet governance, international sports events, and historical international relations.
Patrick received his MA in Political Science and Sociology with first-class honors from the University of Tübingen, Germany, in 2008. His final thesis on Internet Governance was supervised by the late Professor Volker Rittberger. He received his Ph.D. in Political Science from Trinity College Dublin in 2013, where he was a Government of Ireland Postgraduate Research Scholar. His Ph.D. dissertation investigated the interactions between states and international institutions in the area of global public health.
From 2013 to 2018, Patrick held the position of Lecturer in International Relations at the University of Göttingen, Germany. Together with the Chair of International Relations, Professor Anja Jetschke, he was responsible for the Comparative Regional Organizations Project, the largest data collection and analysis project on the institutional design of regional organizations to date.
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Trinity College Dublin (Ireland), 2013
- M.A. in Political Science and Sociology, University of Tübingen (Germany), 2008
- International Cooperation in Europe and Beyond (convenor, second-year undergraduate course)
- Comparative Politics in a Changing World (convenor, second-year undergraduate course)
- Fundamentals 2: Politics and International Relations (convenor, careers seminar)
Jetschke, Anja / Theiner, Patrick / Münch, Sören (2019) Exploring patterns of (dis)similarity in the design of regional organizations:
The Regional Organizations Similarity Index (ROSI). Paper presented at the ISA Annual Convention, Toronto, March 27-30 2019.
Schwanholz, Julia / Theiner, Patrick / Busch, Andreas (2018) "The Interactive Parliament - Evolving Use of Digital Media by National Legislatures in the EU". In: Brichzin / Krichewsky / Ringel / Schank Soziologie der Parlamente - Neue Wege der politischen Institutionenforschung. Wiesbaden: Springer VS.
Theiner, Patrick (2017). "Donor Choice in Multilateral Health Aid" Journal of International Organizations Studies 8(1), 25-40.
Theiner, Patrick / Schwanholz, Julia / Busch, Andreas (2017) "Parliaments 2.0? Digital Media Use by National Parliaments in the EU". In: Schwanholz / Graham / Stoll Managing Democracy in the Digital Age? Internet Regulation, Social Media Use, and Online Civic Engagement. Wiesbaden: Springer.
Breindl, Yana / Theiner, Patrick / Busch, Andreas (2017) "Internet Censorship in Liberal Democracies: Learning from Autocracies?". In: Schwanholz / Graham / Stoll Managing Democracy in the Digital Age? Internet Regulation, Social Media Use, and Online Civic Engagement. Wiesbaden: Springer.
Topics interested in supervising
International organizations, regional organizations, theories of international relations, non-state actors, global public health, international development cooperation, internet governance, quantitative and mixed method designs
If you are interested in being supervised by Patrick Theiner, please see the links below for more information: