- Professor David Howarth
- Honorary Fellow
- Research Interests
- European Integration, Global political economy, Comparative Political Economy, Political Economy of European Integration, European Union public policy
Professor Howarth is now based at the University of Luxembourg and can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BA, MPhil, DPhil (University of Oxford)
- MPA (Ecole Nationale d'Administration, Paris)
Professor Howarth is an Honorary Fellow of Politics & International Relations at the University of Edinburgh. Until August 2012 David was a Jean Monnet Chair in the department. He led the European Integration research group, served on the steering committee of the Europa Institute, was Head of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence and ran the MSc in International and European Politics and the MSc in European Union Politics and Law. He holds a BA, MPhil, and DPhil from the University of Oxford as well as a MPA from the Ecole Nationale d'Administration, Paris.
In 2012 David organised a major conference at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland Debates European Union Economic Governance. David has also commented on the ongoing euro-crisis and some of his recent op-ed pieces include:
- The Summit will be a bruising affair (3.12.2011)
- Prepare to Batten Down the Hatches (18.12.2011)
- A link to a December 2011 BBC interview with David on a future Independent Scotland and the euro can be found here.
David is currently involved in several research projects focusing upon the political economy of European marekt integration, Economic and Monetary Union and National financial systems and the financial crisis.
David has written or co-written two monographs, The French Road to Monetary Union (Palgrave, 2001) and (with Georgios Varouxakis) Contemporary France: Politics and Society (Edward Arnold, 2003). David co-authored, with Peter Loedel, the textbook The European Central Bank: the New European Leviathan? 2nd ed. (Palgrave, 2005).
David co-edited (with Tal Sadeh), At the Frontier of the Single European Market: the Political Economy of Market Integration in the Early Twenty-First Century (Routledge, 2011).
David has been a special guest editor for several journals. Most recently, these include a special issue of the Journal of European Public Policy 17:7 (2010) titled 'At the Frontier of the Single European Market: the Political Economy of Market Integration in the Early Twenty-First Century'; a special issue of the British Journal of Politics & International Relations 10:1 (2008) on 'Economic Interests and European Integration'; and a special issue of the Journal of European Public Policy 11:5 (2004) on 'EU Economic Governance: Revising the Rules'.
Recent journal articles:
- 'Stability Culture as a Panacea for all times', West European Politics, 2013, accepted forthcoming.
- 'France and the International Financial Crisis: The Legacy of State-led Finance', Governance, 2012, accepted, forthcoming.
- 'At the Vanguard of Globalization: The OECD and Capital Liberalization', Review of International Political Economy, (with Tal Sadeh), 18: 15, 2011, 622-645.
- 'The Ever Incomplete Single Market: Differentiation and the Evolving Frontier of Integration', with Tal Sadeh, in Journal of European Public Policy, 2010, 17: 7, pp. 922-935.
- 'Die Krise but not La Crise? Financial crisis and the transformation of German and French banking systems', with Iain Hardie, Journal of Common Market Studies, November 2009, 47:5, pp. 1015-1036.
- 'Economic Interests and the European Union: A Catalyst for European Integration or a Hindrance?', with Tal Sadeh, in The British Journal of Politics and International Relations, 10, 1, February 2008, pp. 1-8.
- 'Running an enlarged euro-zone: reforming the European Central Bank: Efficiency, legitimacy and national economic interest', in Review of International Political Economy, 14:5, December 2007, pp. 820-41.
- 'Making and Breaking the Rules: French Policy on EU Economic Governance', Journal of European Public Policy, vol. 14, no. 7, October 2007: 1061 - 1078.
- 'The Domestic Politics of Britain and the Euro', in Journal of European Integration, vol. 29, no. 1, March 2007, pp. 47-68.
- 'Comparing the euro-outsiders', Journal of European Integration, Volume 27, Number 1 / March 2005, pp. 133-150.
- 'The ECB and the Stability Pact', with Peter Loedel, in Journal of European Public Policy, Spring, 2004, 11, 5, pp. 832-853.
Recent book chapters:
- 'Protecting Europe from its Money Men?', (with James Buckley and Lucia Quaglia) in Journal of Common Market Studies, Annual Review of the European Union in 2010, Vol. 50, s1, Blackwells: 2012.
- 'Central Bankers in an Asymmetric EMU', in Jack Hayward and Rudi Wurzel, eds., European Disunion?, Palgrave, 2012.
- 'Regulating the so-called "Vultures of Capitalism', (with James Buckley) in Journal of Common Market Studies, Annual Review of the European Union in 2010, Vol. 49, s1, Blackwells: 2011, 123-143.
- 'Gesture Politics? Explaining the EU's Response to the Financial Crisis', (with James Buckley) in Journal of Common Market Studies, Annual Review of the European Union in 2009, Vol. 48, s1, Blackwells: 2010, 119-141.
- 'Industrial Policy: The Softer Side of Differentiated Integration', in Dyson, K. and Sepos, A., eds., Which Europe? The Politics of Differentiated Integration, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010, pp. TBD.
- 'Greening the Internal Market in a Difficult Economic Climate', in Journal of Common Market Studies, Annual Review of the European Union in 2008, Blackwells: 2009, 133-150.
- 'Bank of France: The challenge of escaping politicization', in Kenneth Dyson and Martin Marcussen, Central Banks in the Age of the Euro: Europeanization, Convergence, and Power, Oxford: OUP, 2009, pp. 111-129.
- 'The European Central Bank: The Bank that rules Europe? in Kenneth Dyson and Martin Marcussen, Central Banks in the Age of the Euro: Europeanization, Convergence, and Power (Oxford University Press, 2009), pp. 73-88.
- 'Euro Area Enlargement and European Central Bank Reform', in eds., L. Lacina, et al., The Economic Performance of the European Union: Issues, Trends and Policies, Basingstoke, Macmillan Palgrave, 2009, pp. 82-104
- 'France in the Euro-Zone: the management of paradoxical interests', in Ken Dyson, ed., The Euro at Ten, OUP, 2008, pp. 111-132.
- 'From Leader to Frustrated Watchdog: the European Commission and monetary integration', in Jack Hayward, ed., Leaderless Europe, OUP, 2008, pp. 28-46.
- 'Using Europe to Keep the World at Bay: French Policy on EU Economic Governance', in M. Maclean and J. Szarko, France on the World Stage, 2008, 127-143.
- 'Enlarging the European Central Bank', in J. Roy and P. Gomis-Porqueras, eds., The Euro and the Dollar, Ashgate Publishing: Aldershot, UK, 2007, part 4, chapter 1.
- 'Reinforcing the new Lisbon Message of Competitiveness and Innovation', The European Union: Annual Review, Journal of Common Market Studies, 2007, Vol. 45, pp. 89-105.
- 'Explaining British Policy on the Euro', in A. Verdun, ed., Britain and Canada and their large Neighbouring Monetary Unions, Nova Science, 2006, pp. 149-168.