- Alice Hague
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Environment, Climate change, political theology, community activism, faith-based activism, advocacy, mobilisation, environmental politics, environmental ethics, UK, USA, Sweden
- BSc (Hons) Applied and Environmental Biology, University of York, UK
- MSc Communicating Science, University of Glamorgan, UK
- MDiv Divinity, North Park Theological Seminary, Chicago, IL, USA.
PhD Research: My research investigates the engagement of Christian communities in environmental issues. Looking particularly at local activities, I am investigating the motivations behind faith-based communities' involvement and am considering the opportunities and challenges for their engagement. My PhD is an interdisciplinary research project across the School of Social and Political Science and the School of Divinity.
Awards/funding: I have been awarded an AHRC PhD Studentship and my research is part of the project "Caring for the Future through the Past" (www.ancestraltime.org.uk). I made a successful application to the university's Researcher-Led Initiative Fund to establish 'Writing Bootcamps' for colleagues within the School of Social and Political Science (2015-2016)
Previous awards: BBSRC Masters Studentship (MSc) and Presidential (Diversity) Scholarship (MDiv).
Related experience: I previously worked as a diplomat for the UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and was responsible for climate change, environment and innovation policy issues at the British Embassy in Stockholm from 2003-2008. I was seconded to the climate change team at the Swedish Ministry for the Environment in 2008-2009 and was a delegate to the UNFCCC climate change negotiations during this period.
- Sustainable Development 2a (2014-2015) (tutor)
- Research Methods: Data Collection (2015-2017) (Masters-level) (senior tutor & lecturer)
- Cases in Sustainable Development (2016-2017) (tutor)
- Guest lecturer: Global Environment:Key Issues; Science and Society (2016-2017)
I am an Associate Fellow of the UK's Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- June 2016: Presented and participated at the ECPR Summer School in Environmental Politics and Policy at Sciences Po, Lille, France.
- March 2016: "Faith-based communities and environmental action." Political Studies Association, Brighton, UK.
- January 2016: "Faithful advocates: an ethnography of church-based environmentalism in Scotland." International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture conference, Gainesville, Florida.
- April 2014: "Climate Change and the Church" with Dr E. Bomberg. Political Studies Association Annual Conference, Manchester, UK.
- March 2014: Participant at "Greening the Gods: Ecology and Theology in the Ancient World", Faraday Institute for Science and Religion, Cambridge, UK.
- January 2013: Panelist at Sojourners/WEA Environmental Leadership Retreat. Washington, D.C.
- 2014-2016 - Co-convenor of the Global Environment & Society Academy Doctoral Network at the University of Edinburgh.
- June 2015 - co-organised "Future Connections 2015: Sustainability Research In Action" conference for PhDs and ECRs across Scotland.
- I am a member of the Political Studies Association (PSA) and an active participant of its specialist group on Environmental Politics.