- Consuelo Thiers
- Edinburgh UK EH8 9LD
- +44 (0) 749 156 0106
- Research Interests
- Political psychology, Foreign Policy Analysis, Latin American Foreign Policies, At-a-distance personality assessment of political leaders
My research aims to contribute to the understanding of the life cycle of long-lasting conflicts between states in Latin America. My research focuses on the enduring rivalry between neighbouring countries Bolivia-Chile and Chile-Peru. The War of the Pacific that confronted these states (1879-1883) engendered tensions that persist today which are reflected in constant diplomatic impasses, hostile rhetoric, threats and three lawsuits filed before the International Court of Justice.
By utilising a socio-psychological approach, this research explores the role of political leaders’ beliefs and perceptions in shaping periods of escalation and de-escalation that these rivalries have undergone over the last twenty years.
The analysis relies on both interviews that were conducted with current and former key foreign policy decision-makers and on speeches delivered by presidents and foreign affairs ministers of the three countries. Interviews are examined using qualitative content analysis which has delivered information on foreign policy elite’s perception of the Self and Other. On the other hand, speeches are analysed utilising the at-a-distance assessment technique of political leaders which posits that psychological characteristics can be evaluated through a systematic analysis of what leaders say. Within the wide-ranging diversity of these sort of procedures, this project utilises the Operational Code framework which provides information on decision-makers’ beliefs concerning the nature of the political universe and their preference concerning political action.
This research is intended to make contributions to the literature on interstate protracted conflicts in Latin America, political psychology, and leadership analysis.
M.A in International Studies, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile.
Dissertation: “Latin American Political Leaders: A study of personality at-a-distance”
B.A in Psychology, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile.
- Senior tutor on Introduction to Politics and International Relations, University of Edinburgh, Scotland (2019)
- Tutor on Global Security, University of Edinburgh, Scotland (2019)
- Tutor on Introduction to Politics and International Relations, University of Edinburgh, Scotland (2017-2019)
- Lecturer in Psychological Assessment, Universidad SEK, Department of Psychology. Santiago, Chile (2014 – 2016)
- Lecturer in Psychological Assessment, Universidad UNIACC, Department of Psychology. Santiago, Chile (2012 – 2016)
- Lecturer in Personal Development, Universidad Autónoma de Chile, Department of Early Childhood Education. Santiago, Chile (2013 – 2015)
- Lecturer in Learning Psychology, Universidad Chileno-Británica de Cultura, Department of Education. Santiago, Chile (2013)
- Politics and International Relations Career Development PhD Scholarship (2016-2018). University of Edinburgh.
- Center for Contemporary Latin American Studies (University of Edinburgh) Santander Kick-start research funding. With Dr Carlos Soler (2018). Project: “Political past. Temporal and spatial dimensions of the grammar used in Latin American political discourse”
- Student initiative grant for the conference "Foreign Policy Analysis and Role Research". With Saskia Smellie and Dr Victor Gigleux (2017)
- Travel research grant, Universidad de Chile (2012)
- The Sue Grant Service Award: contribution to the community through extracurricular work. With Saskia Smellie and Dr Victor Gigleux (2018)
Dubé, Sebastien & Thiers, Consuelo (2017). Social Group Dynamics and Patterns of Latin America Integration Processes. Revista de Estudios Sociales, (60). 25-35. https://dx.doi.org/10.7440/res60.2017.02
Thiers, C. (2017, July 12) [Review of the book Latin America’s Leaders by R. Diamint & L. Tedesco]. Political studies review, 15 (4), 675-676. https://doi-org.ezproxy.is.ed.ac.uk/10.1177/1478929917712906
Participation in Conferences
§ Thiers, C. (2019). Long lasting conflicts in Latin America, the cases of Chile-Peru and Chile-Bolivia (ISA) Annual Conference, Toronto.
§ Thiers, C. (2019). Profiling leaders in Spanish: Operational Code Analysis. International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Conference, Toronto.
§ Thiers, C. (2018). Profiler Plus: Spanish translation of the Leadership Trait Analysis Coding Scheme. International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Conference, San Francisco.
§ Dubé, S. and Thiers, C. (2017). Social Group Dynamics and Patterns of Latin American Integration Processes. International Society of Political Psychology Annual Scientific Meeting (ISPP), Edinburgh.
§ Thiers, C. (2017). Latin American Political Leaders: A study of personality at-a-distance. International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Conference, Baltimore.
Research Grant Administrator, Millenium Nucleus Center of Stochastic Models, 2014-2016.
Spanish - native speaker
English - fluent
Foreign Policy Analysis research group. University of Edinburgh (co-convenor)
International Studies Association- ISA
Latin American Studies Association- LASA
International Society of Political Psychology- ISPP
Society for Latin American Studies-SLAS
My blog: here