- Talia Shoval
- Edinburgh UK
- Research Interests
- Just war theory, Environmental ethics, Environmental values, Justice and environment, Justice and non-human animals, Moral philosophy, Political theory, Political philosophy, Earth jurisprudence, Non-anthropocentrism
My research project focuses on the intersection between environmental ethics and the ethics of war. I examinate the implications of ethical-environmental considerations to the Just War framework. I am interested in exploring the ethical relationship between humans beings and the non-human environment in the context of war and armed conflict. For this purpose, I re-examine, re-evaluate, and reformulate Just War Theory in light of radical, non-anthropocentric theories of environmental ethics, namely biocentrism and ecocentrism.
- 2019-present - PhD, Political Theory, University of Edinburgh.
- 2016-2018 - M.A., Political Science (Summa Cum Laude), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2013 - Exchange Programme, Globalization and Sustainable Development, Venice International University.
- 2011-2014 - B.A., Political Science and Communication (Magna Cum Laude), Tel-Aviv University.
Awards and Scholarships
- 2018 - Excellence scholarship (M.A. Political Science), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2016-2018 - M.A. tuition scholarship (M.A. Political Science), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2012 - Dean's list (B.A. Political Science & Communicaion), Tel-Aviv University
- 2019 - 'Environmental Ethics in Just War Theory', International Association of Military Ethics in Europe Conference, Vienna.
Teaching and Work Experience
- 2018-2019 - Teaching assistant, 'Dilemmas in Modern Warefare' (Professor Tamar Meisels), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2018-2019 - Lecturor, 'Introduction to Political Theory', Unit for Science Oriented Youth, Tel-Aviv Univeristy.
- 2018-2019 - Research Assistant to Dr Julie Cooper in her project on Jewish political thought, Tel-Aviv Univerisity.
- 2018-2019 - Professional supervisor, Unit for Science Oriented Youth, Tel-Aviv Univeristy, Tel-Aviv University.
- 2017-2019 - Member of the editorial board, 'The Public Sphere Journal', Tel-Aviv University.
- 2017-2019 - Tutor, 'Contemporary Political Thought' (Professor Tamar Meisels, Dr Golan Lahat), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2016-2019 - Tutor, 'The Israeli Political Regime' (Professor Amal Jamal, Dr Yael Shomer), Tel-Aviv University.
- 2016-2017 - Tutor, 'Introduction to International Relations' (Dr Uriel Abulof), Tel-Aviv University.