Institutes & Research Groups
PIR Research is supported by a number of institutes and research groups.
- The Europa Institute is the engine for our research in European Politics where we apply innovative methodological and theoretical approaches to analysing EU identity and institutions.
- The Just World Institute is the engine for our research in International Ethics where we are extending path-breaking work on environmental rights, producing radical new ideas about collective responsibilities for mitigating climate change, and an ecological perspective on global justice and human rights.
- CeSeR is an interdisciplinary centre that aims to promote and link diverse forms of security research across disciplines. It connects the increasing number of University of Edinburgh researchers who work on security, from Social and Political Science, Law, Business, Psychology, Informatics, Divinity, History, Geoscience, Engineering, and elsewhere. CeSeR is based in Politics and International Relations in the School of Social and Political Science at the University of Edinburgh and was established in 2015.
In addition we host a number of research groups that either support research on particular methodological or theoretical approaches, or on topics that promise to yield innovative research, often in areas that cut across the core themes listed above. Our six Research Groups are:
- British Politics
- Elections, Public Opinion & Parties (EPOP)
- Gender & Politics
- International Relations
- International Political Economy
- Political Theory
- Territorial Politics
- The Contemporary Middle East
PIR also actively collaborates with a number of other research centres and institutes including: the Centre for African Studies; the Centre for South Asian Studies; the Social Studies of Finance group; the Centre for Research into Information, Surveillance and Privacy (CRISP); the Dashkova Centre; the Centre for the Advanced Study of the Arab World; the Global Environment & Society Academy; and the Global Justice Academy.